Saturday, November 15, 2008

Cycling, beer and friends 11/13,15



Good People--Norm--my ride home from Dry Dock Brewery, Shawn one of the brew guys. Bill, DJ, Tony and Dena, we caught up on the weddings, DJ's daughter was recently married, and Bill's son will marry in January. DJ is recuperating from ankle surgery and will be in a mobile cast soon.
Good Food--At the Dry Dock Brewery-Norm had his usual Vanilla Porter and I tried their Kolsch, which was exactly as they advertised--very good. After our informative conversations at the Edwards, Jan and I ate at Abrusci's, just west of Applejack's liquor store. We shared pork chops, fingerling roasted potatoes and brazed cabbage, $18--it was the BEST! Very good! The Cavit chard was cheap $6 and matched up well with the pork chops. I'm a lucky man--not only did I marry up and Jan couldn't eat all of her share!

Then we shopped Applejacks-big sale is on--I read an article about Chile and Argentina wines--their reds are supposed to have more antitoxins than others. So we focused on them and we were thrilled to find our favorite restaurant wine 14 Hands--I wrote about it before--Applejacks does not display this wine but, if you ask they will sell it to ya--on sale $8. I suppose that some of the "wrong" things make me happy but this was a find! You can order online (thanks to Kevin), shipping is costly. We found some of the California trip winery wines but even on sale they were still out of our price range.
Good Exercise--I rode my bike in some strong wind to the brewery--only 9+ miles but the wind pushed my heart rate up. Oh! and we walked around the liquor store--big store though.
Great Retirement--as I have mentioned before-Norm will join the retired at the end of this month- O'boy! I don't know what we will do about who will haul us home from Dry Dock since Norm will no longer be making that long drive from the Fed Center via Dry Dock. Any offers?

No comments: