Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Balloon ride to Plane ride.

My plane ride was in this flight simulator (sim), which is one of three at the CAE center near DIA. Airlines rent time on the sim for $500/hr. My pilot buddy, Dave and my neighblor Craig, the instructor worked it out for me to ride along. Every pilot has to test out on the sim once a year, usually a two day test. The purpose is to give them real life flight situations so that they can practise what to do--wind sheer, lightning, micro bursts, trucks on the runway, abort a take off, several instrument and engine failures and issues, air turbelence of following a jumbo jet too close, fire in the cabin and incorrect tower direction.
Riding in the sim is just like flying, we flew in/out of San Francisco so that I could see the Golden Gate Bridge and water. The grapics were so real-sorry about the pic (no flash because they video most of the test)--can you make out the runway. One test was to avoid a head on airplane collusion--the sight, sound and movement of the sim caused by the plane flying over us was very real. I flew--correction I crashed my landing and did a fair job of taking off, lots of swerving down the runway though.

It was a fantastic experience--pilots, traffic control and flight attendants have a totally different langauge. I have a much higher respect for their talents and abilities. Especailly the instructor--he has to know all there is to fly the plane AND how to work the sim. Thanks guys!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What an awesome experience! Very cool. Sorry that you swallowed bugs during your ride. I hope that is not a normal occurence! Jen